Spoken Word Poetry

Friday 15 May 2009

Victor Maddern







According to my Mum, one of Victor Maddern’s daughters attended the same junior school as me. I cannot remember her at all but her Dad I certainly do. He was one of those reliable character actor’s whose talent made the big stars job all that much easier.
He was born in nineteen twenty eight in Ilford, Essex of working class parents and joined the Navy in nineteen forty three, at the age of fifteen, where he served until nineteen forty six. After being discharged from the Navy he joined RADA and got his first acting role in the film “Seven Days to Noon in 1950, playing a reluctant soldier obliged to shoot a psychotic scientist.
Although he often appeared in films, a great many too, it is as a TV actor that I best remember him where he plied his trade so admirably supporting those stars we all loved. One of his best for me has to be in The Dick Emery Show where he played the part of old Lampwick's son.
Ironically (for me that is) Victor Maddern owned a printers. I say ironically as my father too was a printer.
Victor Maddern died in nineteen ninety three of a brain tumor and at the relatively young age of sixty eight. He was a fine actor.

.
.
.
aNOtHEr dIp INtO ThE mAGpIE mEMOrY pOOoL.


1 comment:

Wastedpapiers said...

I recognise the face but not the name. One of those versatile actors who cropped up in all kinds of british films and tv over the years. Thanks for reminding us of this underrated chap.

WV is "whroples" - a nasty rash from contact with ferrets.