Spoken Word Poetry

Sunday 13 December 2009

Some Velvet Morning by Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra




Being the daughter of one of the world's biggest singers never seemed to bother or be a burden to Nancy Sinatra who carved her own way in life with a series of fabulous songs.
This one was writen by Lee Hazelwood but was performed by the couple as a duet on Nancy's first album.
Together they produced a string of memorable songs but this one, with its strange lyrics has to be the one that I liked the best.
Nancy still records and most recently released a cover of a Morrisey song 'Let me kiss you'. Still an attractive woman and still with a pure golden voice.

Some velvet mornin' when I'm straight
I'm gonna open up your gate
And maybe tell you 'bout Phaedra
And how she gave me life
And how she made it end
Some velvet mornin' when I'm straight


Flowers growing on a hill, dragonflies and daffodils
Learn from us very much, look at us but do not touch
Phaedra is my name


Some velvet mornin' when I'm straight
I'm gonna open up your gate
And maybe tell you 'bout Phaedra
And how she gave me life
And how she made it end
Some velvet mornin' when I'm straight


Flowers are the things we know, secrets are the things we grow
Learn from us very much, look at us but do not touch
Phaedra is my name

Some velvet mornin' when I'm straight
Flowers growing on a hill
I'm gonna open up your gate
dragonflies and daffodils
And maybe tell you 'bout Phaedra
Learn from us very much
And how she gave me life
look at us but do not touch
FADE
And how she made it end


.
.
.
aNOtHEr dIp INtO ThE mAGpIE mEMOrY pOOoL.

3 comments:

Nessa said...

Interesting. I had no idea she did a lot of recording.

Nicholas

Wastedpapiers said...

These two passed me by I'm afraid. I always hated "These Boots Were Made For Walking" so that put me off listening anything else she had to offer!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Nessa>>>Yes, quite a lot but as Michael said, of a mixed quality.