Spoken Word Poetry

Monday 15 December 2008

Chas 'N' Dave


A festive treat for you all - well, some of you maybe! I love Chas 'N' Dave and forgive them the dreadful cockney caperings and "Stars On 45" type medleys they do but at the heart of their music is a great musicianship and a refreshing use of the local venacular without stooping to affect a mid Atlantic drawl like so many seems to do for some reason. They write good catchy songs too as their many hits denote.
"The Sideboard Song" "Margate" "Gertcha" to name but a few.
Here is a radio show from the 80's or maybe 90's when they were at their height. Full of Xmas cheer and jolly good up kneesing- cor blimey guv!

9 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

I love them. Loved their hits when they were uncool. Love 'em now when, rescued by The Libertines, they found a whole new, younger audience.
As far as I am concerned they are (different) but alike Ian Dury and Madness in that all thre acts draw heavily on both the Cockney Cheekie-Chappie ethos AND the old musical hall/variety tradition.
Splendid post Michael.
I must remember to dig out the old Vinyl!!!!

Wastedpapiers said...

Thats good - I was afraid I'd gone too far! I like those daft jingles they made for Courage Ales too with the energetic dog in the old fashioned pub. Another thing of the past.

Wastedpapiers said...

HERE are a few.

Wastedpapiers said...

And Another.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Gone too far? Not a bit of it. The older I get the more I dislike the cool NME approach.
I heard a Radio One DJ snigger at the thought of The Sex Pistols making a new album. I have to confess I am not convinced it would be a good move but why not?
Chas and Dave were/are good. Real blokes making real music.

Your WV is NONIM

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Also enjoyed hearing The Baron Knights again. Another one of those 'comedy bands' that seem so sadly lacking nowadays.

C'mon Roger, get your banjo out and I'' get my jaws harp. Michael, can you sing or play a kazoo?

Wastedpapiers said...

Not too keen on the kazoo- quite hard to make it sound musical! I have been practicing the washboard though. I need a few more thimbles.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Forgot to say earlier that I played this at work and we all enjoyed not only Chas and Dave but also The Baron Knights!!

Roger Stevens said...

I saw Chas and Dave in... guess where? Margate. They were great.

Never so keen on the Baron Knights. tame pastiches of current pop songs - nowhere near as good as the Bonzos.

Hey ho!