Spoken Word Poetry

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Hot Thumb's O'Riley


I can't remember where I found this - probably a flea market in London some years ago. Released in 1973 on the Charisma label. O'Riley (Jim Pembroke) went to Harrow School of Art and later fell in love with a Finnish au pair in Finchley and followed her back to Helsinki in 1965. He stayed and joined a band called Wigwam who make up some of the musicians on this odd recording. Complete line up includes - Ronnie Osterburg- Drums, Mats Hulden, Pekka Pohjola and Mosse Groundstroem - basses, Jukka Gustavson - organ . Jim pembroke played piano, harmonium, bass, guitar, harmonica and vocals.

Definately an oddity which you probably never knew existed! I've featured it on my Boot Sale Sounds blog a couple of times with minimal response though it has been looked at and listened to over 6,000 times so it obviously tickled a few curious ears.

Here's one side of it anyway. See what you think.

2 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

I was going to say 'who on earth' but I have to say another fascinating 'find' for me.

Hot Thumbs O'Riley sounds like an Irishman who wants to play the blues but got the name thingy all wrong!

Wastedpapiers said...

Those were the days of the "concept album" ofcourse and very few ever meant very much to me except maybe Ogdens Nut Gone Flake and Tommy. I must have heard this on John Peel and it stuck in the back of my mind until i saw it for quid or whatever it was. It has a nice sepia gate fold sleeve too which were popular at the time and you dont get with CD's or MP3's.