Spoken Word Poetry

Saturday 23 January 2010

Howard Morrison Quartet


Not sure where this audio came from- possibly a 45 I picked up somewhere. The Howard Morrison Quartet were a skiffle group from New Zealand and I imagine this was a concert recorded there in the 50's in front of an enthusiastic audience.
They remind me a bit of the Barron Knights who did that combination of terrible song parody and imitation so well back in the 60's over here. I can't quite work out if they are singing Granada for laughs or not!

New Zealand is not renowned for its comic exports and this is no exception. They redeemed themselves recently though with the fabulously talented duo Flight Of The Conchords.

4 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Where do you find them? Amazing!

Jinksy said...

So the Fab Four Fans didn't invent the screaming lark, then...

Wastedpapiers said...

I have no idea where this came from. I uploaded it to Treemo a few years back and I never did add much there as a clue - being a storage space only.

I'm sure a lot of cave women screamed at cave men from the early days as they drove a wooly mammoth into a pit.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

But was the wooly mamoth named Ringo?