Spoken Word Poetry

Friday 25 September 2020

Spoken Word from a Poetry Society Poet - Matt Abbott


Matt Abbott. In his own words..." Eyup! I’m Matt Abbott, and I’m a Wakefield born poet, educator and activist. My adult themes mainly centre around socio-political commentary, human struggle and kitchen-sink realism. My poetry for children centres around playful rebellion, challenging societal stereotypes and the struggles of modern life. 

I first began performing spoken word in December 2006, shortly before my 18th birthday, before fronting indie-pop act Skint & Demoralised from 2007-2013, releasing three albums during that period. Since returning to poetry, I’ve toured the UK’s theatres, done two runs at Edinburgh Fringe and shared a stage with names ranging from Paul Weller, Sleaford Mods and The Fall; to Sara Pascoe, Shappi Khorsandi and Francesca Martinez; to Ken Loach and Jeremy Corbyn. In 2015 I formed the spoken word record label Nymphs & ThugsI’m an ambassador for Trinity Homeless Projects and Eureka! The National Children’s Museum.

I’ve also been commissioned by a range of organisations including Leeds United FC, Nationwide Building Society, Cancer Research UK, the European Youth Forum and Jeremy Corbyn."


All poems are copyright of the poet. Permission for this poet to post their work here has been granted by blog owner. All rights remain with the individual poet and their respective publisher.

No comments: