Spoken Word Poetry

Friday 3 October 2008

Bubble Gum Cards


These were a great collectors item for kids back in the 50's and 60's and probably still are today. I bought this one - The Brain Destroyer - as part of a set called The Outer Limits , based on a TV show that was popular in the early 60's (1964. Daystar-Villa Distefeno- United Artists TV.) Made byBubbles Inc. and Printed In England. The garish colours and weird subject matter of aliens and monsters was attractive and timeless. Other cards in the 20 or so I have have titles like Invade Earth and Night Of Terror - collect all 50 in the set. I'd love to have the rest and will continue looking at boot sales and flea markets- you never know!

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat, there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits." — Opening narration – The Control Voice – 1960s

For more info. on The Outer Limits series go HERE<.a>.

3 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Fantastic but I don't remember this at all. I guess it would have been on USA TV? I do like bubble gum cards though and it wouldn't take much for me to get into collecting them.

Wastedpapiers said...

It was on ITV over here I think in the early 60's. Maybe before your time. They did a version in the 80's I think but not as good as the original. You can buy them all on boxed DVD sets at Amazon. I got the first series in a sale at Woolies a year or so ago and its brilliant. Full of cold war and anti-communist angst!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Funny thing the age we are. We three are of the same generation and can only be seperated by three or four years and yet that does have an odd twist on the memory. My wife is two years younger than me but really didn't get into the Beatles or The Stones. She was more of a TREX and Bowie person. A friend of mine hit fifty last year and is about four to five years younger than me and although now has caught up with Zappa was never into Beefheart. I guess it is much of the old 'big brother syndrome'. You and I are of a similar age but your memory goes back a wee bit further than mine. I have certainly heard of this series but truly can't remember seeing it. Thanks for the info!