Spoken Word Poetry

Sunday 5 October 2008

Withnail and I




This film has become something of a cult in recent years. One of those films that never made it on the box office register but has somehow slipped into the public consciousness by stealth. It is one of, if not THE best British film of its, or any one elses, day. As British as a black cab and as mad as the proverbial. It features some great performances by Richard Griffith's and Paul Macgann but a truly inspired performance by the incredible Richard. E. Grant who acts his veritable socks off.








It comes from the same stock of films as The Long Good Friday, The Time Bandits and the hugely succesful Life of Brian. All of which were produced by George Harrisons short loved Hand Made Films.



It is without a shadow of a doubt among the top ten of my favourite films ever made and I regulary go back to watch it again. I especially enjoy the scene with the chicken.

I didn't get to see this film until this year, 2008, so it certainly isn't something that I fell in love with in my youth or even younger years but it is still up there with all the things that are.

Terrific film and so British.





2 comments:

Wastedpapiers said...

One of my favourites too. The "Camberwell Carrot" moment too is very funny with that actor whose name I forget who plays the drug addled hippie. Takes me back to my student days and the squalid flats we used to share!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Yes, the Camberwell Carrot. Splendid bit of cinema. Nothing wrong with all the recent Brit films, Fully Monty and Four Weddings but we surely could do with a few more like this!