Spoken Word Poetry

Monday 10 November 2008

Gazebo




A gazebo is a pavilion structure, often octagonal, commonly found in parks, gardens, and spacious public areas. Gazebos are freestanding, or attached to a garden wall, roofed, and open on all sides; they provide shade, basic shelter, ornamental features in a landscape, and a place to rest. Some gazebos in public parks are large enough to serve as bandstands.


That, however is not why I like the word Gazebo. The reason that I am fond of it is that many years ago, when reading out loud to my wife, I pronounced it as a Gaze Bow.


Some thirty years on I still have not been allowed to forget it.




.
.
.
aNOtHEr dIp INtO ThE mAGpIE mUrkY pOOoL FuLl oF MUtanT TaDpOleS aNd FiSh.

2 comments:

Wastedpapiers said...

What's wrong with "gaze-bow" I want to know? Stupid words like that deserve to be mispronounced whenever possible just to annoy those anal retentives who get a kick out of correcting people all the time.

The word verification says "clating".

Russell CJ Duffy said...

I know what you mean. I work with some peole who always sond the H in aitch so that they sound like Parker from Thunderbirds. 'Haitch M'Lady". Not sure if i'm right or not as I was always taught NOT to sound the H but I wouldn't dream of correcting them. Strikes me as bloody bad manners.