Spoken Word Poetry

Tuesday 4 November 2008

Spike Milligan


Ofcourse I grew up listening to the Goons on the radio and loved the daft records they made. One of my first purchases was an EP with The Ying Tong Song, I'm Walking Backwards To Christmas, Bloodnok's Rock 'N' Roll Call etc.
Later he was doing Beachcomber on the telly and then the wonderful series Q6 and all the other Q's which greatly influenced Monty Python et al.
Also he wrote very funny verse for kids and fantastic comical books like Puckoon and Adolf Hitler; My Part In His Downfall , his war memiors that went on for about 8 books I think? He was in plays like the Bed Sitting Room and films. A talented and tortured genius who suffered for many years with manic depression among other things.
Here's a poem and comical prose from a great compilation called "The World Of British Comedy" that came out on Decca in the 70's.


Spike Milligan - Cold Porridge

Spike Milligan - Pontius Kak

The Goons - Eeh! Ah! Oh! Ooh!


These Send Space files are available for seven days or until exhausted.

9 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Another individual where the epitaph genius truly applies.

Roger Stevens said...

I had that EP. Ahh...

Mad bugger wasn't he?

Wastedpapiers said...

I found that Ep recently in a charity shop so that was great to find again since the original one was lost years ago.

Roger the Saurus said...

It bothers me that you people keep tapping into my heroes - Viv Stanshall, Bonzo Dog Band and now Spike Milligan. Are you spying on me? If you now post something about the Marx Brothers I'll be very worried

Wastedpapiers said...

Dear Worried, expect some Marxist stuff very soon!

Roger the Saurus said...

In which case, I refuse to subscribe to a blog that would have me as a member

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Lenin rules.

I might even sneak in a Richard Thompson one when Michael isn't looking!!

Roger the Saurus said...

Now you are starting to worry me s I am a big Richard Thompson fan. Do you live in my sock drawer?

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Nope, next to your wig and hairpin.